Sunday, June 4, 2017

Phidippus Audax in the Vineyard

Yesterday, while I was busy with my Vineyard Wifery Duties, I saw a spider which I readily identified as a jumping spider tightrope walking the catch wires. What caught my eye was when the spider flashed these iridescent "eyes" at me and so I quickly whipped out my camera that I always carry with me on wifery duties, you never know when you see something interesting. I got this photo of the jumping spider, Phidippus Audax. The name conjures in my mind, an ancient Greek warrior.
Okay, the picture of the Phidippus Audax appears MUCH larger than it actually is. It was perhaps no more than 1/2 inch in length, otherwise I would be running out of the vineyard screaming. Wikipedia mentioned that what I thought were "eyes" are actually chelicerae, or "jaws", which in the case of this jumping spider may contain venom. Apparently, the spider was warning me to keep away or else!

No comments:

Post a Comment