Monday, June 12, 2017

Sisyrinchium montanum

Vineyard Wifery Duties have turned into shoot positioning duties as the vines are in their "grand period of growth" that continues until just after fruit set. It's a little difficult to focus on a task that is now taking 3 hours to do one row of nearly 200 vines so I often stop to take pictures. One of the photos I took was of this cute little blue flower called Sisyrinchium montanum or blue-eyed grass. Anything taken this close is stunningly beautiful, isn't it. Details are revealed on close up. For example, I didn't know that the tips of the petals are notched and end in a needlelike projection. I learned more about the Mountain blue flower, Sisyrinchium montanum on the Minnesota Wildflower Site. It is a member of the Family Iridaceae (Iris). The flower itself measures at most 3/4 inches and is comprised of 6 tepals, 3 petals and 3 sepals that look alike. This photo also shows what the fruit looks like. I'll put this blogpost under the Vineyard Sightings Tab where I've collated other interesting sightings.

No comments:

Post a Comment