Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Pretty in Pink: Dianthus armeria

Today is the first day of summer and it is a beauty. On tap for us was more shoot positioning and leaf pulling, which is now taking 2 people 2 hours to finish a row. Nevertheless, we persisted and finished one row in the morning. I work from the north to the south and my husband works from the south to the north and we meet in the middle. I took a little time to take a picture of this brilliant hot pink, tiny five petaled flower and looked on the Internet for what it could be. It is a Deptford Pink or Dianthus armeria, a member of the Dianthus genus, carnation and Sweet Williams are also Dianthus. I have seen these flowers in our vineyard for years and never was curious enough to take a photo. But I was surprised to see that on close up, the edges of the flower are serrated. This is another blogpost that will find its way on to the Vineyard Sightings Tab.


No comments:

Post a Comment