Thursday, September 28, 2017

Waiting for Cup Airlock Bubbling

My husband and I started the fermentation of our Auxerrois at 8 p.m. on September 25th. This is a tense time of waiting for bubbling from the airlock, especially when the fermentation is in a non-see through stainless keg. I was trying to convince myself that I could actually smell the beginnings of fermentation, each time I lifted the freezer lid to check on the airlock. This morning, a full 60 hours after the yeasts were put into the keg, I was having serious doubts about my yeast rehydration procedure and was wondering if I needed to rehydrate another batch of yeast.
It turned out that I didn't need to worry because this year, my husband decided to invest in a micro inspection camera. The camera came yesterday and my husband tested it out last night. Around 9:30 a.m. this morning, he set up the device and we went down into our fermentation cave (aka basement) to check on the Auxerrois. Using his micro inspection camera, we found that although the bubbler was mute, the yeast were in an active state of reproduction! This stage is probably part of the lag phase where the yeasts are undergoing rapid division. Once we opened the keg to look inside and resealed it, the bubbler started to show signs of carbon dioxide evolution. I know, Murphy's Law, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment