Wednesday, August 2, 2017

2014 Vasse Felix Chardonnay

Our days are now focussed on canopy management and keeping our growing grapes in good shape. It's working in hot, humid, conditions aoccasionally bolstered by our friends' much appreciated help.
Last night, we had our friend over for squash blossoms that she provided that my husband fried with a light batter dusted with panko. To pair with the squash blossoms, we drank the wine that she brought home with her from a trip to Australia, a 2014 Vasse Felix Chardonnay from the Margaret River.
Chardonnay is a curious grape that responds to where it grows and how it is vinified. We are grappling with how to vinify our small amount of Chardonnay that we now have, so tasting various styles of Chardonnay is an educational process for us.
My husband and friend really liked the Chardonnay. I was initially put off by my over sensitivity to what I think is an aroma of hydrogen sulfide, in contrast my husband and friend smelled toasted oak. I swirled and the aroma that I initially apprehended blew off and I agreed, the Chardonnay was very well made. I tasted lemons with a touch of oak, not overwhelming but very well integrated. Good friends, great wine, and good food, it was a perfect ending to a sweaty day in the vineyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment