Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Second Edition of Karen MacNeil's The Wine Bible

On October, 2015, the second edition of Karen MacNeil's The Wine Bible arrived on bookshelves, and fortunately for me, as an ebook! I'm quite the hypocrite. I used to be a huge proponent of reading physical books, until I found that I could use my phone to read a book. This is quite the revelation for someone in the early stages of cataracts. My vision is not what it used to be but thanks to the help of my phone and 1.5X magnification glasses and backlighting, I find that reading can be easy on even my eyes. So, I've been downloading ebooks (criteria: free) and going to town reading even the most ponderously heaviest of books i.e. Moby Dick.
In the new year, it was my intention to read and take notes from Karen MacNeil's book, The Wine Bible. I read the 2001 edition in 2013, so I was delighted to learn that I could download the 2015 second edition as an e-version! An article in the Los Angeles Times mentions that MacNeil has rewritten 80% of the book. The Introductory chapters gives a comprehensive description of the various types of soils and then the top 25 grape varieties and ends with an alphabetical list of important grape varieties. That's as far as I have gotten, but this is a much friendlier way to read a book. Since my phone is always nearby, I can pick up the ebook anytime and continue reading it. Even taking the book to bed is not so onerous as propping up a 4-inch thick tome that can cause serious injury when nodding off. So far, a good read. I'll report back with details.

No comments:

Post a Comment