Sunday, April 20, 2014

Weekapaug Inn Celebration

Our friend, the traveling man decided to surprise his significant other with a birthday party at the Weekapaug Inn Restaurant in Rhode Island. It was a small gathering of close friends. My husband informed me that I needed to get dressed up for this occasion, which presented somewhat of a challenge since my normal attire of overalls and gardening boots would not do. The Weekapaug Inn Restaurant was an elegant but unpretentious dining experience. Our server, Benjamin, attended to our every need and he even noticed the green fingers on my right hand, the result of a morning spent dying eggs with our grandchildren.
We began the evening with a basket of bread freshly baked on the premises and a vegetarian amuse of chopped cauliflower that tasted like a less salty version of caviar. The champagne, provided by our host, was an Egly-Ouriet Brut Tradition Grand Cru. We have previously had Egly-Ouriet Les Vignes Vrigny Premier Cru a récoltant-manipulant champagne made entirely of Pinot Meunier grapes, the Grand Cru is made from 75% Pinot Noir and 25% Chardonnay picked from 35-40 year old vines. What to have with Champagne? Oysters!
For our main course, the wine pairing, again provided by our host was a 1999 Chateau Margaux. I asked to have the capsule top because you, gentle reader know that I am a hoarder and have blogged about what I do with the capsule tops, so acquiring a Chateau Margaux is a rare and wonderful opportunity and drinking a Chateau Margaux is just plain wonderful. Half of those gathered ordered the monkfish with saffron risotto and the pairing was delicious!
It was a very special evening and our friend chose an excellent venue to host a birthday party. We ended the evening with our choice of dessert. Some chose a liquid ending, while I went for the chocolate filo dough mille feuille with slices of blood orange. I have to remember that even through my inebriation, I need to be focused enough to take a photo. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the finale which was as beautiful as it was delicious! Somehow I need to maneuver another trip to the Weekapaug Inn, it was so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment