Monday, April 7, 2014

1988 Faiveley Grand Cru Clos des Cortons

We drank this 1988 Corton with a meal of chicken legs. This recalled to mind the recent Wall Street Journal online article that I read, The Wine Lovers' Chicken Conundrum written by Lettie Teague. The article mentioned that wine choices for chicken can range from Arneis to Barbera, Chinon to Bordeaux and for Pinot noir, a Chambertin would do quite nicely.
This morning, I asked my husband how to write up what this wine is. "It's clearly marked on the label", he said and translated for me. The year is 1988, it is a monopole which means that the vineyard, in this case Clos des Cortons, has one owner, and it is a Grand Cru. "How many of these do we have left," I asked. "That was the last one," he said. "What, what!!!!???? and we drank it with chicken?" I thought. Ha ha ha. It was delicious, of course and is holding on nicely to the balance of fruit and acidity which paired very well with roasted chicken legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment