Wednesday, March 7, 2012

2000 Ferrando Carema Black Label

I remember the day we "found" this wine at Wines and Vines in Northampton, MA. My husband eyes grew wide and he said, "I've never see this wine anywhere". So we bought it and then drank it with the best pizza in our area. Carema is located in northern Italy, in Piedmont near the border of Valle d'Aosta. The grape used in the Ferrando Carema is the nebbiolo. You can tell that the wine comes from a cooler growing region. The color was clear and ruby red and we tasted spice and cedar in the wine. This is a wine imported by Neal Rosenthal and I first heard about it when I read his book: Reflections of a Wine Merchant. I could not find much information about Ferrando on the website except from this one location, Crush Wine and Spirits, where there is a quote from Neal Rosenthal: "When I am asked which wine would I choose were I to be restricted to a single one, my answer is: Carema." The Carema made it to our wall of fame!
Upon more searching, I found more information about Luigi Ferrando here:
Mad Rose Group Rosenthal Wine Merchant. If you can't read Neal Rosenthal's book, his website has good information regarding the Ferrando wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment