Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Michel-Schlumberger Cabernet Sauvignon

Last year, a friend of mine brought over a bottle of Michel-Schlumberger to have with dinner that my husband was making. For me, that evening, it was love at first sip. So, on the last day that we were in California, we made a trek to Dry Creek Valley to go to Michel-Schlumberger.
We did not have an appointment, but Francesco graciously welcomed us into the tasting room where we sat down and had a private tasting. We had their 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon and it was just as I had remembered.
They were offering some of their older Cabs for sale and we purchased some and then talked with Francesco. We told him that some of the other wines that we really liked were Beringer Howell Mountain Century III Cab Franc, to which he replied: Now you are talking right up my alley. I am a Beringer on my mother's side. Wow!
We talked about Zazu, the restaurant in Santa Rosa that we went to and Francesco not only knew Duskie Estes, he was her long time friend. Francesco said, it's funny because Duskie serves pork, and is known as the Queen of Pork, but she is a vegetarian!
When we went home, I told my friend about our trip to Michel-Schlumberger and she recalled that when she went to Michel-Schlumberger, she did her first barrel tasting and Michel-Schlumberger was one of her favorites. I looked on our wall-of-fame, a place where we put bottles that we especially liked and found that it was a 1996 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine was also for sale, but unfortunately for us, it was now priced at $90.00 a bottle. We purchased some 1996, 2006 and 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon and I can't wait to receive it and share a bottle with my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment