Sunday, June 30, 2024

2004 Dunn Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

A few evenings ago, we celebrated our friend's un-birthday. My husband made a slow smoked cowboy steak. We received some fresh sugar snap peas from our neighbor that we prepared as a side dish and a baked potato completed the accompaniments to the cowboy steak.
It was a special birthday for our friend so my husband pulled out this 2004 Dunn Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
I associate California Cabernet Sauvignon with too much alcohol and so I was quite surprised that this 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon was not overly unctious and went so perfectly with the cowboy steak.
I found the answer to why I liked this 2004 Dunn so much in a 2012 article from SFGate.1 Dunn uses a method called reverse osmosis to remove some of the natural alcohol that is the result of fermentation. His aim is to keep his alcohol level below 14%. In reverse osmosis, wine is passed through a semipermeable membrane that filters out some water and alcohol, and when blended back together, the alcohol level can be dialed down without losing ripe flavors.
I really enjoyed this now 20 year old Dunn Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon! The wonderful thing is that my husband said he has many more bottles of Dunn!
References:
1. Jon Bonné, Randy Dunn's Cabernet crusade, SFGate, Aug 27, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment