Wednesday, April 3, 2024

2000 Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste

A few days ago, my husband brought out this 2000 Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste from his wine cellar. I always ask him, "Is this the last one?" because I know by now that if it is, I might demur in drinking it. He said "No", so it was time to open it up! Although the wine is 24 years old now, the cork was in great condition, a good sign. The wine was dark garnet in color and my immediate reaction to the aromas was that it had an herbal, menthol quality to it that quickly blew off, then it was aromas of blackberries and dark cherries for me. It is not an overly fruit-forward wine but it is well balanced and has a soft finish.
We paired the wine with beef pot pie. The beef filling was slowly braised with half a bottle of Lan Rioja. My husband insisted on having a side salad. We had the wine a few days later and it was still drinking well.
Wanting to learn more about the wine, I went to the website of the Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste. The Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste was purchased by Jean-Eugène Borie in 1978. Jean-Eugène along with his wife undertook the renovation of the property as well as the chateau which had not been lived in since the 1930s. It is family owned and the numerous photos on the sight shows their commitment to the land and their craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment