Sunday, April 3, 2022

Vintage 2022: April is Here

It's April and spring is in the air. Mother Nature played a trick on us on April Fool's day. We went to continue our pruning duties knowing that it would rain. While we were working, we saw this dark cloud overhead:
I was at the north end of the vineyard and my husband was at the south end of the vineyard, near our truck and I thought that he would get into the truck and pick me up but he didn't so I continued working and that cloud cover left without even a sprinkle of rain. Fooled us!
We are getting close to finishing our first pass of pre-pruning the vineyard. I checked and our Cabernet Franc buds are still pretty much in dormancy.
Today, while we working, my husband came upon this gem:
My husband put it in a baggy for safe keeping and when we finished our work for the day, he said, "I have something to show you." Me: "Oooo!" When we went home, my husband looked it up on the Internet. It is the egg case of the Carolina praying mantis which can be rare in Connecticut.
I have blogged about the Chinese praying mantis with photos of both the egg case and the mature insect. We love having praying mantis in our vineyard because they are voracious predators!

No comments:

Post a Comment