Saturday, February 24, 2018

1995 Sylvain Cathiard Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru

My husband claims that he brought this bottle of Burgundy out for me on Valentine's Day. What I remember was that we drank this wine without any food at all. We sipped it for hours while it opened up. At first, I got umami and beef broth notes, but by the end of the glass, I totally got violets, the wine was morphing, revealing layers of complexity. The wine was full bodied, lushly extracted and still very dark purple in color. There was no oxidation that I was aware of and this wine is already 23 years old. The nice thing about the wine is that it still is youthful tasting and can be cellared for a while longer.
Just for yucks, here is the price history of his bottle of Pinot Noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment