Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Eichhorn-Lorenz Stages 27 and 29

I've been blogging about the Eichhorn-Lorenz stages that our vines are going through, the first was Eichhorn-Lorenz Stage 15 on June 6, documenting our Chardonnay. Today, I'm following up with Eichhorn-Lorenz Stage 29 or the stage at which berries begin to swell and the clusters begin to hang. Here is a photo of our Chardonnay taken on July 7th.
NOTE:I have to make a retraction. What I was following was Ed Hellman's Meier stages, and I do want follow the Eichhorn-Lorenz, so I am correcting the previous blog, from stage 55 to stage 15. I apologize for the error.
Our Auxerrois, on the other hand began bloom a week later than our Chardonnay, around June 22nd and it is now at Eichhorn-Stage 27, or at fruitset where the young fruits begin to swell and the remains of flowers are lost. The fact that the Auxerrois bloomed later than the Chardonnay meant that it did not see the same rain event on June 16th that the Chardonnay flowers saw and the berries here are much cleaner than the Chardonnay that I blogged about in Rain at Flowering.

References:
1. Ed Hellman, Grapevine Structure and Function.

No comments:

Post a Comment