Monday, May 1, 2017

2013 Les Hauts De Smith

This wine was my downfall. We had it with our friends with cod en papillote (in parchment paper). My husband finds this to be a simple meal to fix and his go to ingredients are artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers, the kind that you can get already made in a jar. He might also add green olives and lemon. Basically, whatever we have on hand goes into making this presentation friendly meal. I recognized the bottle and the chateau as a Bordeaux and I know that the only white grapes that grow in Bordeaux are Semillon and Chardonnay (wrong!). My husband seized upon this error and made me a bet that he knew he would win. In front of our friends, we bet that it was not Semillon and Chardonnay but Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc that went into a white Bordeaux. Well, you know who won the bet and the bet was that I have to make dinner for an entire week. I think my servitude ended yesterday evening. We later learned that this 2013 Les Hauts De Smith was mainly made of Sauvignon Blanc.
I read a great story about the owners of Chateau Smith-Haut-Lafitte, Daniel and Florence Cathiard, on the online Wine Spectator in an article titled Olympic-Size Ambition.

No comments:

Post a Comment