Thursday, January 26, 2017

2012 Vajra Riesling

This 2012 Vajra Riesling is another wine that we purchased from Federal Wine & Spirits. I was shown this wine by Michael and I immediately recognized the name "Vajra" because we have purchased and enjoyed the 2009 Vajra Barolo and 2009 Vajra Barbera d'Alba. We were under the impression that Vajra made only red wines. Wrong! Here was this 2012 Vajra Riesling that was staring at me! I had to have it! Luckily for me, my husband consented because he was the one who had to lug the wine from Boston back to our home. Ha ha.
It did not last for very long in our EuroCav because yesterday, we were the recipients of fresh clams harvested by our generous hunter. I had a broth in mind for these clams. I thought that I would make a Tom Yum soup with fresh lemon grass, ginger, and 2 whole red peppers simmered in chicken stock. After the aromatics had integrated into the chicken stock, I added 2 teaspoons of fish sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar and continued simmering my stock. The simmering time was about 2 hours long. Just before we added the clams, I stirred in a can of coconut milk. This is what the final product looked like:
The Riesling was very pale yellow in color and the aroma was not quite identifiable as Riesling. One sip and we both said, "Whoa!" It was dry and acidic but had a wonderful lemony, honeyed flavor that reminded us of Chenin blanc! It paired very well with this Asian-style clam dish. So, I don't think my husband minded lugging this outstanding Riesling home after all.

More Information:
1. Langhe Riesling `Pétracine`.

No comments:

Post a Comment