Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Late Bloomer

All of a sudden, the light switch has gone off on summer and we are now in a period of warm, dry days and cool nights.
It is just a joy to walk in the vineyard in this kind of weather, to see the ripening grapes and take Brix readings. Since we've been having a lot of rain, interesting things other than grapes can also be found in the vineyard. Such as this mushroom which I believe to be a puffball. Although, I'm doing my job, my husband, who has been busy weed wacking and mowing the vineyard alleys might call what I am doing, lollygagging.
Not only did I take a picture of this mushroom, I saw a comma butterfly and tried to take it's picture. But, since I had some grape juice on my hand, the butterfly landed on my right hand, preventing me from taking it's picture. A more cooperative subject was found when I saw this inflorescence at the top of some new growth that is occurring on one of our more mature vines.
How does this happen? I thought that vines needed an overwintering cycle? My hypothesis---it may be on a summer lateral and may be the second crop. If so, it is a very late bloomer and the only cluster in our second crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment