Monday, November 2, 2015

2013 Chateau d'Auvernier Neuchatel

My husband bought this bottle of Neuchatel for us to try. The wine is made from Chasselas or Fendant, as it is known in Switzerland, the leading grape variety there. When I drank this wine, since it was my first taste of Chasselas, I wasn't fully appreciating it's varietal character.
I found their website Chateau d'Auvernier and learned that Thierry Grosjean, the current owner can trace his lineage back 400 years.
Pierre Galet in his book, Grape Varieties says the following about Chasselas:
The typical Chasselas wine is slightly sparkling and crisp, finishing wth a pleasantly sharp sensation. The aromas are equally distinctive, blending notes of lime blossom with elegant floral touches and even occasional mineral nuances.
To me, it was very austere, so recently, I told my husband that he would need to purchase another Neuchatel so that I can give it another taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment