Saturday, May 23, 2015

1998 Vieux Télégraphe La Crau

My husband seems to recall that we bought this 1998 Vieux Télégraphe close to when it was released. This was when he was still hanging on Robert Parker's every word regarding wine and the fact that it was imported by Kermit Lynch was also a plus. I do recall that we went to a wine shop in rural Massachusetts, where it was is lost in the fog of time, and we saw Vieux Télégraphe for sale there. It seemed to be reasonably priced at around $35.00 a bottle, and less expensive than Chateau de Beaucastel. We left the wine shop without making a purchase but then stopped and thought about it for a while and decided to go back and got half a case.
So, recently, we drank the last bottle from this purchase. I thought I got a little whiff of VA (volatile acidity) on the nose upon opening, which blew away as I swirled the inky purple liquid in my glass. I was spicy and still had berry fruit, but it really was a must drink now kind of bottle. We drank this with a rack of barbeque pork that my husband grilled. It was just the right touch after working out in the vineyard.
I found a very good article on Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe on the Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant site. On this site, I learned that the composition of the Vieux Télégraphe is 65% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 15% Syrah, 5% (Cinsault, Clairette, et al).

No comments:

Post a Comment