Monday, September 29, 2014

2011 Grgich Hills Fumé Blanc

I must confess that I like Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. Ever since my husband introduced me to Cloudy Bay, I was a fan. The years have passed and many New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc appeals to my palate by having a decidedly passionfruit flavor that I enjoy. I also confess to enjoying the Loire Valley Henri Bourgeois Sancerre as well as a Pouilly-Fumé, both made from the Sauvignon Blanc grape. That's the problem with the nomenclature of the Sauvignon Blanc grape because depending on where it is grown, it can be called something else. The California Fumé Blanc nomenclature can be traced be traced back to Robert Mondavi who decided to call his dry-style Sauvignon Blanc, Fumé Blanc to distinguish it from his sweeter-style Sauvignon Blanc, and rather than patent the name, he allowed anyone to use it. This Grgich Hills Fumé Blanc differs from any New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. I would put the expression of the grape between that of the Loire Valley and New Zealand. My husband and I did enjoy drinking this wine and he promised me that he would pick up a few more bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment