Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Egly-Ouriet Champagne

We had this Egly-Ouriet Champagne because as Lily Bollinger (one of the grandes dames of Champagne) says: I drink champagne when I am happy and when I am sad. Sometimes I drink it when alone. In company I consider it compulsory. I sip a little if I'm hungry. Otherwise I don't touch it---unless I'm thirsty of course.1
While we have not approached that frequency of champagne drinking, we did choose this bottle of Egly-Ouriet champagne when we had our friends over for dinner. He is off to a 2 month working gig away from home so we wanted to send him off with one his favorite food pairings, champagne and oysters.
The Egly-Ouriet is a récoltant-manipulant champagne, a grower made champagne, made entirely from Pinot Meunier grapes. Egly sources the Pinot Meunier from several parcels of old vines near the Village of Vrigny in the Montagne de Reims. The back label of this champagne gives additional information such as time on lees and disgorgement date. If you are interested in reading more about Egly-Ouriet, here is an excellent article at Scalawine published on May 26, 2011, by Tim Hall: Champagne Egly-Ouriet – A Profile
References:
1. Don and Petie Kladstrup, Champagne How the World's Most Glamorous Wine Triumphed Over War and Hard Times, 2005, HarperCollins, pg. 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment