Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Rosés

I recently read an article written by Eric Asimov in The New York Times called Rosé: In Demand, but Not Demanding. His article garnered some comments which I found to be interesting.
My husband and I really enjoy a good rosé at the end of the work day, it is so refreshing. High on our list includes Francis Ford Coppola's Sofia. I've been reading Karen MacNeil's The Wine Bible and in the chapter on Provence she mentions Domaines Ott and Domaine Tempier as two rosés to try.
I was able to locate those two at Tamura's Wine Shop on Waialae Avenue in Kaimuki, although the Domaine Ott rosé was the Chateau Romassan and not the Laéesse recommended by MacNeil. This is what she wrote about the Domaines Ott: The family owned firm of Domaines Ott is undoubtedly the best-known producer in Provence. From three separate estates the firm makes earthy, spicy reds; full-bodied whites that pair well with local seafood dishes; and best of all, three delicious dry rosés. The most elegant of the bunch, Laéesse, is a bracing, spicy wine that has hints of herbes de Provence.
For the Domaine Tempier, MacNeil wrote: The color of this wine---almost copper---is the first tip-off that it's not going to be your standard cotton-candyish, flaccid, high-alcohol rosé. No, this boldly focused wine smells and tastes so much of warm earth, haystacks, and dried wild herbs that your mind leaps to images of paintings by Vincent van Gogh.1
I haven't bought the wines from Tamura's, I just saw them there. I'll have to do a little more research on these rosés to see if the prices are reasonable.
Reference:
1. Karen MacNeil, The Wine Bible, 2001, Workman Publishing Company, pg. 312.

No comments:

Post a Comment