Friday, December 5, 2014

2010 Richard Leroy Noëls de Montbenault Chenin Blanc

We recently had this "mystery wine". My husband was testing my knowledge of wine varieties. My first taste of this wine had me totally confused, I thought the wine was very disjointed. Although the nose was very fragrant, I tasted a bit of oxidation. My second guess was Chenin blanc and I was rewarded with a nod from my husband. This is another one of the white wines that we received in our case of wine from Weygandt Wines, courtesy of Warren Leonard. The wine was initially a bit on the cold side and as it warmed up, the fragrance from the glass was incredible! I detected some "ume-shu" (plum wine) which took me back to when my Aunty in Japan made her own plum wine from plums growing in her yard. There is a decided pineapple aroma and also some anise. In other words, the nose on this wine just goes on and on. The flavors become more integrated as the wine warms up so this is one of those wines that you want to savor and drink very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment