Tuesday, November 25, 2014

2010 Les Granges Paquenesses Savagnin

Recently, my husband opened this bottle of white wine and challenged a few friends and me to identify the grape. I thought that I immediately detected a little bit of oxidation. My friend identified citrus notes. We pondered about the grape variety. Then my husband made it a little easier for us, "New World or Old World", he said. Still puzzled. In the end, we gave up. We would never have guessed that we were drinking a grape variety called Savagnin.
This bottle of wine came as part of a one case booty sent to us by Warren Leonard, assistant manager at Weygandt Wines in Washington, D.C. My husband asked Warren to select a few wines from their inventory, consisting of 8 reds and 4 whites including a few bottles of Pinot blanc with the average price per bottle being under $30.00. We have been tasting through the case of a few eclectic wines including this one.
I looked on line to learn a bit more about the 2010 Les Granges Paquenesses Savagnin. The savagnin grape is used in wines made in the Jura region of France, a cool climate wine region located between Burgundy and Switzerland. Loreline Laborde is the winemaker at Les Granges Paquenesses. Her winemaking style is pure and rustic, working everything with her hands and her horse! I'm glad that Warren rounded out our case of wine with this savagnin, any time we can expand our knowledge of the world of wines, I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment