Wednesday, November 2, 2022

2005 Rene LeClerc Gevrey Chambertin

We are already in November! The harvest is in and fermenting away. We have had a chance to exhale a little and have friends over for food and wine. This past Saturday, my husband made his duck with berry sauce with a side of wild rice. To pair with the meal, he brought out this 2005 Rene LeClerc Gevrey Chambertin. Duck and Pinot Noir go together so well and this pairing was no exception. I truly enjoyed drinking this wine, it opened up with soft berry fruit and had such a silky finish.
We had a wonderful evening with our friends, eating and drinking made the time pass! Our friends enjoyed the wine as well so I decided to dig a little deeper into the wine that my husband pulled up from his cellar.
I found this page, Domaine Rene Leclerc – Pas de Chêne Pour Moi s’il Vous Plaît written in January 20, 2013 by Christopher Massie. On that post, I learned that there are two brothers, Philippe and Rene. They maintained the same domaine until in 1976, they split the domaine located in Gevrey due to their adherence to stylistic differences in their winemaking. Philippe uses new oak and ages his wines from 18 to 24 months and Rene eschews the use of new oak. Rene believes in long cool fermentations with minimal handling of the wine. In 2002, Rene's son, Francois joined the team and began using 100% used oak barrels. What did this do to the wines? It is laden with fruit!
I told my husband how much I liked this wine and he said that it was a village wine! If a village wine can taste this good, what must a premier cru taste like?

No comments:

Post a Comment