Monday, March 4, 2019

Vintage 2019: March Snowfall

I was beginning to think that we might escape winter without a major snowfall, but this morning, we opened our eyes to the wettest snowfall this year. Last year, my husband and I were thinking about doing vineyard chores in February because the weather was so nice, but then Mother Nature "blessed" us with A Month of Storms.
So, I'm wondering if this March will be like last year's when we had a major snowfall every week!
This always reminds me of the old adage: "Comes in like a lion, goes out like a lamb."
I searched on the Internet again, and found a site that explains where the saying might have come from.1
According to The Paris Review: "One of the earliest citations is in one Thomas Fuller’s 1732 compendium, Gnomologia: Adagies and Proverbs; Wise Sentences and Witty Sayings, Ancient and Modern, Foreign and British.
The authors give the wording as 'Comes in like a Lion, goes out like a Lamb.'"
The Guardian points out that it might also have a connection to the stars: One idea which has recently gained currency is that the saying refers to the stars. At the start of March, the constellation Leo (the Lion) is on the eastern horizon at sunset. By the end of the month, Aries (the Ram) is on the western horizon."
I suppose I prefer that to the opposite: Comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion.
Reference:
1. Anthony Wright, Where Did the Phrase in Like a Lamb Out Like a Lion Come From?, March 1, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment