Monday, July 27, 2015

Sake and Sushi

Two weeks ago today, I took a trip back home to Hawaii. Several events were converging and it was a good time to be there. First, I was summoned by my mother to be present for the 80th anniversary of the founding by my grandmother, of our little Buddhist temple that I grew up in, and it was my daughter's birthday and her son's (my grandson) birthday. So, it was a very good time to be there.
To celebrate my daughter's birthday, my daughter, her husband and I went to the best sushi restaurant (IMHO) on Oahu. It is a little hole in the wall located near a busy intersection and if you were not in the know, you would miss it completely. It is called Sasabune. We went there for lunch and sat at the counter. What do you drink with sushi but sake, it's like having ouzo with Greek food, it is the right pairing. The hostess suggested a very nice one so that is what I started with. She gave a generous pour and allowed me to take a photo of it.
The sake lasted for almost the entire meal, but I really do like to pair my sushi with sake so I asked the hostess to suggest another sake and this is what she recommended next.
All of us enjoyed the sushi, "da best kine" and I loved the sake. I also want to give a shout out to Paul whom I met on the flight from Providence to Chicago. The flight from Providence was delayed for hours and he had an iPhone 6 and looked up my flight information so that when the flight arrived in Ohare, I was able to run and made my flight to Hawaii. There were 65 people who did not make this flight so I felt really fortunate and now am convinced that I need an iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment