Thursday, May 22, 2014

Some Info About Our Post Pounder

Way back in 2013 after first planting our vines, we received our line posts from Spec Trellising. We purchased their 12-gauge Mannwerks Stakes. At that time, we thought about renting a pounder but when my husband looked into the cost of renting a pounder versus the cost of owning a pounder, he thought that we would be ahead of the game if we purchased a pounder. So, after much research, he decided to get an Atlas Copco LPVRD hydraulic post pounder with remote valve for our task of pounding in our line posts. (Aside: In our two person company, I am the CEO and CFO and he is in charge of Procurement. However, in the field, he is the field manager and I am the field hand, so he pulls rank on me there.)
My husband designed this hoist for the pounder and the Landini's hydraulics drives the device. The Landini also pulls our narrow dump trailer which contains the posts that we use in the vineyard rows.
So far this has worked very well for us and yesterday, we asked our friend, the NBC, Golf Channel and Olympics camera person if he could film us in action. He did a great job because he is a professional camera person and we liked his artistry. I tried to download the shoot from my husband's Canon HD video camera but I lacked some kind of software. Today, we were able to pound in 16 line posts in 80 minutes, a new records for us, before the rains drove us to seek shelter.

2 comments: