Wednesday, August 7, 2013

2012 Clos le Vigneau Vouvray

I was able to find this 2012 Clos le Vigneau Vouvray at Tamuras for $18 and some change. I'm not sure if it is the influence of the islands, but the aromas from the wine glass reminded me of the smell of mock orange and honey. The balance of fruit and acidity in this wine was perfect and I could just taste the pairing with oysters. I think that Chenin blanc more than any other white wine needs to be served at the proper temperature. On the label on the back of this Vouvray, Alexander Monmousseau has provided the temperature at which to serve this wine---8 oC.
At the appropriately cool temperature, a white wine's acidity is highlighted and the wine will appear to taste lighter and fresher. At too cold a temperature, the wine can appear to be flavorless. Conversely, as the temperature of the wine increases, a white wine can begin to taste more alcoholic.1 The alcohol content of this Vouvray is 12.5% and I think that is another reason why this Chenin blanc has a very balanced flavor.
Reference:
1. Karen MacNeil, The Wine Bible, 2001, Workman Publishing Company, pg. 88-89.

No comments:

Post a Comment