Friday, May 17, 2013

Argyros Vinsanto

We drank this 1984 Vinsanto from Kthima Argyros (Kthima=Estate) at our Greek friend's home and it brought back all kinds of memories. In 2004, we joined our friends for a trip to Greece to see the Olympics, the Greek ruins and meet family and friends. We had a great time and saw so many ruins that we called this trip that our friend was taking us on as high throughput sightseeing. I did get to check a major thing off my bucket list which was to see the Parthenon at the Acropolis. It was magnificent. A little digression: Before going to Greece, my husband was trying to convince me that I should get a digital camera. I stuck to my guns (I can be a little stubborn at times), preferring film, telling him that film has better resolution. Well, right when we reached the top of the Acropolis, my film started rewinding because it had reached the last photo. I thought I had put in a roll of 36 but in reality, it was a roll of 10! I missed taking photos of the Acropolis! Fortunately for me, my husband had a small digital camera. I learned my lesson, but it wasn't until 2008 that I succumbed to the ditigal age and have been snap happy ever since.
But back to our recollections. After the Olympics was over in Athens, we took a trip to Crete and then to Santorini. On Santorini, our friends took us to Kthima Argyros. This photo shows our friend in the gray t-shirt and Yiannis Argyros the grandson of Georgios Argyros, the founder of Kthima Argyros, in the red shirt. Georgios Argyros established Kthima Argyros in 1903 on 5 acres of land. Yiannis Argyros showed us around the barrel room and then we bought some Vinsanto. Since we were there in early September, we also saw the harvest and the drying of the grapes in the hot sun of Santorini. These grapes are the starting material for the delicious dessert wine of Santorini, or Vinsanto. On the back of this bottle, the label indicated that this 1984 Vinsanto was No. 04679. Since the establishment of Kthima Argyros was in 1903, they must be celebrating the 110th anniversary this year! Συγχαρητήρια Κτήμα Αργυρού!

No comments:

Post a Comment