Wednesday, April 24, 2013

1998 Chateau de La Gardine

Any time there are lamb chops on sale is a good time for "paidakia" (Greek lambchops). Our Greek friends were in town so, taking a page out of their cookbook, we made horiatiki (Greek salad) and lemoni patates (lemon potatoes). My husband brought the paidakia to our friend's to cook it on his grill, we call this "meals on wheels", unfortunately, I wasn't there. More unfortunate for me, our friend brought up from his cellar, one of my favorites, Paradigm Cabernet Franc. I suppose my husband felt just a little sorry for me because the next evening, we had the paidakia leftovers and my husband brought out this 15 year old Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Chateau de La Gardine. We did notice that the edge of the wine was a bit orange in color, signaling some oxidation, but this wine went seamlessly with the paidakia, elevating the meal while being elevated itself. It was sublime! I remarked to my husband, "How do you tell this wine from a Bordeaux", and he did agree that it was rather Bordeaux-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment