Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My Life in Bondage

I have become a hoer. My husband bought for us only the best hoes and that makes a difference. One of the things that we thought we needed to do was to get ahead of the weeds so we have been hoeing our vineyard rows. Our vines are in rows that are 800 feet long but, I cheerfully say, there are only 36!
I do get to commune very closely with nature when I am hoeing and so far I have seen a fluorescent green spider that Pamm Cooper of the UConn Extension identified as a small Araneus cingulatus. It is one of many types of orb weaving spiders. While sitting on a rock taking a break, I saw a lady bug! This is a good omen of beneficial insects that might call the vineyard home. Lady bugs are good in oh so many ways.
When I find Cynanchum nigrum commonly called Black swallowwort, I try to get them out because before you know it, they will be everywhere. Their root system reminds me of a medusa.
I've also been pulling out orange roots, because they are the roots of Celastrus orbiculatus or Bittersweet. One of the delights in weeding is seeing all of the earthworms that are inhabiting the soil. That is a good sign! Mother Nature has provided a little reprieve for me today, it is raining!

No comments:

Post a Comment