Friday, May 27, 2011

1994 Dehlinger Syrah

I wasn't completely truthful when I talked about the fence building Mother's Day weekend, as if that was all that we did. I do want to continue with the fence building thread just a little because in the afternoon, we saw how to put in posts. The equipment (I don't know what it is called) made pounding posts into the ground like putting toothpicks into butter. This equipment will come in handy when we get ready to put up deer fence around the vineyard.
In the late afternoon, we made our way from Harrisville to Hancock, New Hampshire to the Hancock Inn B&B. My husband chose this B&B because of the wine list and the 2009 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Dinner was served at the B&B so that was perfect.
When we sat down to eat, we looked at the wine list and there on the list was a 1994 Dehlinger Russian River Valley Syrah. We had to have it! The Syrah was delicious. It was not a fruit bomb nor was it a spicy Syrah, but we found that it was very well balanced and went well with lamb and steak. That is something for a 17 year old Syrah! I sent an email to Eva Dehlinger, who is enrolled in the UC Davis course that I am taking on line and learned that the 1994 was one of the first vintages from their vineyard. Link to Dehlinger. A link to a Wine Spectator review of the 1994 Syrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment