Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Passing the Todd Test

You never know when your UC Davis Enology and Viticulture training can come in handy. I was at my sister and brother-in-law's home in LA when my husband and I went to their neighbor's home to see how his renovation was progressing. The renovation was beautiful and you could actually see the ocean from the second floor master bedroom!
We met a neighbor named Todd and when the topic of wine came up, Todd said that he'd been in the wine sales business for nine years. We finished looking at the home renovation and while we were outside, my husband chatting with the neighbor,
Todd said to me: "What do you drink?"
I think he thought that it was too general a question so he followed it up with:
"I didn't know that there were any wineries or vineyards in Connecticut."
Me: "Well, there are a few in our area growing vinifera. Our land is also part of a designated AVA."
Todd: "So, what are you going to grow?"
Me: "We're thinking of growing Chardonnay, Chenin blanc and Auxerrois. So on this trip, we will visit some nurseries to see what kind of rootstocks and scions are available."
Todd said: "So, do you have phylloxera?"
Me: I gave the short, none academic answer "Don't we have it in all states now?" (Phylloxera doesn't thrive in sandy soils.)
Todd: "So, where don't they have any phylloxera?"
Me: "Chile."
Todd: "That's right!"
"Do you know why Chile will never get phylloxera? Because they are bounded on the north by a desert, on the east by the Andes and on the south by Antartica."
Me: Nodding my head.
Thankfully, after a few more minutes of this chitchat, my husband corralled me and said, "Time to go."
Later, while we were in the car together, I told my husband of this little exchange with Todd and said I felt like I was being interrogated but also felt as if I passed the "Todd test".

No comments:

Post a Comment