Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hurricane Update

Update from California.
My husband and I had to travel all the way to California in order to take a hot shower and have a REAL cup of morning coffee. Hurricane Irene came through Connecticut on Sunday morning, August 28th, leaving us with no power after 7 a.m. Just an hour and a half before that my husband was up watching the TV and Irene's progress and we decided to go back to bed. Before going back to bed, however, I uttered some words to my husband which would turn out to be a regrettable lost opportunity:
"Do you want me to make some coffee?" He declined, wanting to go back to bed since he had been up since 3 a.m. Too bad for us because the power went off at 7 a.m. and didn't come on until after we left for the West Coast.
Thankfully, the hurricane wasn't as bad as we were lead to believe. We escaped without any water damage in our basement, which was our greatest concern. After Sunday, however, every day that passed with no power left us wanting to have the simplest things, like a hot cup of coffee in the morning.
We are on our way to attend the weekend winemaking hands-on course at UC Davis's Mondavi Institute of Food and Wine Science. I'll take notes and report back here. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment